Sweetpotatoes are loved around the world, but especially here in South Korea. Walking through the many food markets in the city and the countryside, sweetpotatoes can be found in a variety of dishes, fire roasted on their own or as one of my favorite snacks, goguma mattang (고구마 맛탕). I’ve modified this to make an easy at-home version in the shape of my Korean Candied Sweetpotatoes recipe. Sweet, crunchy and filling - it’s just the dish to transport your taste buds to South Korea.
Follow along on how to make this simple dish in my Korean Candied Sweetpotatoes video on YouTube here.
Korean Candied Sweetpotatoes
- 2 medium sweetpotatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Canola oil, as needed
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- Cook sweetpotatoes by frying, roasting or sautéing with the canola oil until they’re cooked through and crispy.
- In a sauté pan, heat brown sugar, honey and corn syrup. Stir until sugar has melted and mixture is bubbly.
- Gently mix in the sweet potatoes and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top before serving hot.
Stay up to date with my simple, accessible and affordable recipes on my YouTube channel here. Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and check in for my regular posts over on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.