I love oatmeal, but it's gotta be savory for me to really dig in. Savory Oatmeal Bowls are trending as of late, but this dish has always been on my menu. You can customize this bowl any way you want, even modifying it to become vegan or vegetarian depending on your toppings. This dish hits the spot and will keep you energized for hours with its lovely combo of carbohydrates, fats, and protein. Don't forget to watch my YouTube video on how to make these Savory Oatmeal Bowls to accommodate any food allergies or dietary preferences. Bonus: it's also FODMAP-friendly.
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked
- 1 cup oats (raw, any variety—quick, instant or steel cut)
- 2 cups chicken stock (can use water or vegetable stock)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 eggs
- Lemon pepper or black pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish
- Cook bacon in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it’s crispy and releases some fat. Remove from the pan and reserve for later.
- Add the oats, stirring to coat in bacon fat. Carefully pour in stock and cook until the oatmeal is done.
- Stir in Parmesan and keep warm while preparing toppings.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Gently crack in eggs and cook until preferred doneness.
- Divide the oatmeal into 2 serving bowls. Top with 1 egg each, lemon pepper (or black pepper), the reserved bacon and chives. Eat hot or warm.
Note: All ingredients can be customized to accommodate your tolerance of FODMAPs and for food allergies. Up the protein by serving with more than 1 egg each. Modify the cook time if you're using steel-cut oats—it will take longer to cook.
Get the play-by-play details on how to make my Savory Oatmeal Bowls over on my YouTube channel here. Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and check in for my regular posts over on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Leave a Reply