I love oatmeal, but it's gotta be savory for me to really dig in. Savory Oatmeal Bowls are trending as of late, but this dish has always been on my menu. You can customize this bowl any way you want, even modifying it to become vegan or vegetarian depending on your toppings. This dish hits the spot and will keep you energized for hours with its lovely combo of carbohydrates, fats and protein. Don't forget to watch my YouTube video on how to make these Savory Oatmeal Bowls to accommodate any food allergies or dietary preferences. Bonus: it's also FODMAP friendly.
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked
- 1 cup oats (raw, any variety - quick, instant or steel cut)
- 2 cups chicken stock (can use water or vegetable stock)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 eggs
- Lemon pepper or black pepper, to taste
- Chives, to garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, toast bacon until it’s crispy and releases some fat. Remove bacon and reserve for later.
- Add in the oats, stirring to coat in bacon fat. Carefully pour in chicken stock and cook until done.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and keep warm while preparing toppings.
- In a sauté pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Gently crack in eggs and cook until preferred doneness.
- Divide cooked oatmeal into two serving bowls. Top with 1 egg each, lemon pepper or black pepper, reserved bacon and chives. Eat hot or warm.
Note: All ingredients can be customized to accommodate your tolerance of FODMAPs and for food allergies. Up the protein by serving with more than 1 egg each. Modify the cook time if you're using steel cut oats - it will take longer to cook.
Get the play by play details on how to make my Savory Oatmeal Bowls over on my YouTube channel here. Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and check in for my regular posts over on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.